Tis the time of the year when fleas start making an appearance. So far this year we have gotten more calls than the previous 2 years combined. Here’s what you need to know.
Fleas have what is called complete metamorphosis. This means that they have 4 stages to their lifecycle, they are egg, larva, pupa and adult. If your reading this I imagine you are being eaten alive by the adult stage. Not to worry, flea treatments are common and safe.
Before any treatment takes place there is prep work that the homeowner must complete. It is as follows:
1. Vacuum all floor surfaces to stimulate the pupa to hatch and suck up as many adults as possible.
2. Clear all the floor space of items that are able to be picked up and put on a table as 100% of the floor surface will be treated. Don’t forget under the bed
3. Empty all closets
4. Wash all bed coverings yours and your pets.
5. Cover all fish tanks and turn off aspirator
6. Specify to the pest management pro if it is a dog or a cat that brought the fleas in. It makes a huge difference.
7. Have your animal professional dipped on the day of the treatment.
8. Make plans to be out of your home for 4-6 hours or until the floor surfaces are dry.
The treatment is completed by applying a light application of a liquid insecticide mixed with an insect growth regulator Together these products will break the life cycle of the flea.
This application is made to all areas of flooring , upholstered furniture and areas the pets frequent throughout the home.
AFTER THE APPLICATION YOU MUST VACUUM EVERY OTHER DAY FOR 1 WEEK AND THROW AWAY THE BAG. This will again stimulate the flea pupa to hatch. The pupal cacoon is impervious to the products we use.
Hope this answers your questions, we can be reached at 1-888-879-6481 of at [email protected] if you assistance.