Rodents are a huge problem in Connecticut. Mice and rats can carry diseases such as salmonella, Hantavirus, and Lyme disease. They can also cause extensive building damage – in fact, rodents are the greatest cause of undetermined home fires.
Connecticut homes are most commonly invaded by three types of rodents: the deer mouse, the house mouse, and the Norway rat. All three are equally destructive. Mice commonly enter homes through tiny gaps under doors and around utility penetrations, while rats are attracted to food sources such as bird feeders and animal food left outside.
The 3 Most Common Rodents in Connecticut:
- Tan fur with white underbelly; about 3-4″ long plus tail
- Diet varies greatly
- Commonly found in homes
- Light brown to gray fur; 2 ½-3 ½” long plus 3-4″ tail
- Prefers grains, seeds, and other human foods
- Typically nests close to their food source
- Broad body; dark brown fur; 7-10″ long plus 6-8.5″ tail
- >Eats all human foods, but will scavenge for seeds and grains
- Prefers ground-based burrows, but will infest basements and wall cavities
If you haven’t actually seen a mouse or rat, there are a couple of telltale signs that they’re around. The first sign that typically gets noticed is droppings – mouse droppings are less than ¼” while Norway rat droppings are around ¾”. In addition, you may see holes that have been chewed into food packages or even walls or floors. If you look carefully, you might also find “rub marks” on corners from the grease on the rodents’ fur.
FAQs: Rodent Control from Envirocare Pest Control
What happens during rodent treatment?
Envirocare Pest Control can control all three of Connecticut’s most common rodents with a single process:
- Positive identification: Knowing which rodent you’re dealing with is a must, as not all rodents are treated the same.
- Inspection: A thorough inspection will provide clues to where the rodents are living and what different food sources they are using.
- Extermination: We use baits and highly effective traps to catch rodents and reduce their population.
- Exclusion: We offer additional services for the long-term exclusion of rodents. Our rodent exclusion service blocks off all the common entry points into your home or business.
- Exterior baiting: We can also install exterior perimeter stations for pet protection before rodents make it into your home.
We do recommend a monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly regular service program to control mice and rats. The frequency of your service will depend on the severity of the problem.
Call Envirocare Pest Control, LLC now at 1-888-879-6481 or contact us online for a free estimate.